you should enable portfast (diasbles stp)
this should speed things up

Cheers

Colin

At 11:29 AM 6/12/01 -0400, Larry Ogun-Banjo wrote:
>We have just installed some new catalyst switches 650x and 69xx. I have
>noticed
>that whenever I connected with a fluke to test connectivity on the ports, it
>takes approximately 20 secs to get its first contact with another device.
I'm
>aware the switch port needs to learn the mac address etc but I would not
have
>thought it would take so long. Are there any commands that would speedup the
>network discovery or is this normal behaviour on a new port?
>Pardon this trivial question but it would help.
Colin Byelong                             Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Group
Information Systems Division
University College London
Gower Street                              Phone: 020 7679-2572
London WC1E 6BT