Hi all,

I would appreciate your insight in the following question I have
received from my student. My answer follows but I am not sure I have not
missed some important piece here.

Q: Why was the
meaning of the packet length parameter changed from total length to
payload length when moving from IPv4 to IPv6? It looks to me like
deliberately created fuel for confusion.

My Answer:

IPv4 header might vary between 20 to 60 octets,
and in first 20 octets there are 11 fields which need to be looked at
and possibly processed by routers along the path traversing internet.
This unnecessary complexity leads to inefficient router's performance.

By employing a simple header of fixed length with 8 mandatory fields,
IPv6 routers enhance their performance. As we could see, many fields
were either removed or embedded in the extension headers in IPv6. As the
IPv6 header has a fixed length of 40 octets, the Header length
field could be eliminated. Payload length is the length of the remainder
of the IPv6 packet following the header, in octets (extension headers
plus the transport-level PDU). IPv6 as opposed to IPv4 does not perform
any checksum in the base header, again to allow for faster processing at
intermediate nodes (routers).

The routers only check what is needed to check: in case of IPv6 they are
interested that the complete header is there (they know what length to
expect -
fixed 40 octets) and that the rest of the datagram is complete in terms
of advertized length. Therefore instead of identifying the whole
datagram length
from which they would substract the 40 octets, they know immediately
what the payload length is. This seems quite sensible; perhaps we could
attribute this sort of discrepancy between versions rather to the IPv4
way of specifying the whole datagram length instead of the data
(payload) length. IPv6 moved away from that for practical reasons -
routers' efficiency.

Rita