All nuances aside, the answer for the exams is layer two.  That's logical
because it is a broadcast and doesn't cross routers unless specifically
misconfigured to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Rita Puzmanova [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 3:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ARP and TCP/IP layering [7:8335]

Thank you all for valid perspectives. Yet my original question (I had on
mind but perhaps not clearly worded) is still unanswered. I will
rephrase it:

Does ARP operates at network interface layer or internet layer of TCP/IP
protocol stack?

Just forget anything else (in particular OSI concepts) - concentrate on
TCP/IP. To my opinion every protocol must belong somewhere (otherwise
the whole layering concept would be useless and could not work), it
cannot be an "interface" (it is a layer protocol, not an interlayer
protocol within a single system).

No matter whether IETF currently bothers about its own layering system -
at the beginning they for sure managed to fit the pieces in the puzzle
(I mean protocols) according to their original, simple
4-layer-architecture.

Sorry for being soooo persistent ;-)

Rita