And a more detailed reading of Comer found these statements:

Protocols like ARP belong in the network interface layer.

Application programs as well as all protocol software from the Internet
layer upward use only IP addresses. The network interface layer handles
physical addresses.

Comer, for those of you just joining says that broadly speaking, TCP/IP has
four conceptual layers:

Application
Transport
Internet