>On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

:-)  VMS 4, mostly.

This was 1980 or so. Yes, there were computers then.

My office and library tend to be a mess. But it's often hard to
explain to an administrator or organizer that wants to "help" me that
old journals and manuals can have very real value.  The seminal paper
in structured programming, Dijkstra's "Go To Considered Harmful,"
dates to 1968.

I still use medical journals over 10 years old.  My pharmacology
textbooks often suggest consulting an earlier edition for details on
drugs rarely used now.  Admittedly, I cherish a 1934 book called
"Modern Office and General Practice," simply to remind me how far we
have progressed.  Essentially, EVERYTHING in it is wrong.

A few of my computer science materials are simply there for
historical value, like the FORTRAN manual for the IBM 709.  This
wasn't called FORTRAN I because it was too early to consider there
ever might be a FORTRAN II.

I certainly saved my own publications, even if they go back to the mid-70s.