Hi

There seems to be a move a foot for companies to require a 4 year degree.
But it seems to be somewhat limited to your age group. IMHO if you are under
35 you had better have/get that BS degree, but if you are over 35 then it
really depends more on your experience.

Many companies placing people in senior positions are much more concerned
with experience than degrees. Which makes it fairly easy for someone over 35
or so to land and retain that senior job without a degree. The assumption is
that someone older has had the opportunity to gain many more years of
experience than someone in their twenties.

Where a degree or certification for that matter, really come into play are
with pay scale and if you are a contractor in getting your foot in the door.
I have worked at a couple of companies that have two or three different pay
scales based on rather you are degreed and/or certified or not.

To address the idea that a EE is required to make a good CCIE. Well I have
worked as a engineer and worked with many engineers in fields that are not
engineering related. I find that engineers tend to have a different thought
process than the average person doing IT work, which is a benefit to their
work. Engineers tend to be much more capable of seeing both the fine details
and the big picture, they tend to be very methodical in their approach to
everything they do and this is a benefit IMHO.

Bottom line, some of the best minds the world has ever known have not been
classically educated, Einstein (you know the guy that came up with the
relativity theory and was a high school drop out) comes to mind. It is not
how many certs or degrees you have, it's what you can do.

$0.02
--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE