Dear paul,
Hi, being an electrical engineer myself I have to say that I agree with
all the points you made except one. That is the one comparing SAP to
CCIE. If you look into it deeply SAP was a software Cisco is basically a
hardware company. So if some has been a CCIE for a couple of years and
had worked with the myrid of equipment available chances are that he
wont disappear so easily. he will get work maybe not for 120K to 150K
but maybe 100K he will be needed because Computer Networks are going to
stay. so even if Cisco is replaced with another company the laws of
networking are not going to change they are the same. As in Electrical
engineering Ohm's law is still the same that is for those who dont know
Voltage = Current x Reisitance (V=IR) (sic! couldnt resist it).
Another analogy is for software programmers, if you made a program in
the original Fortran or Algol you can still run it in the latest version
of C++ or Visual Basic.
That is my opinion of course.
Omer Ehsan Dar