The paper says that in order for the Wake on LAN frame to get through
routers the Manager station (the one that wakes devices up) must send a UDP
IP directed broadcast. That answers the question as to whether it's an IP
frame or not. Normally it's just an Ethernet frame, but to get through
routers the Manager must be configured to send it as an IP frame. That
makes sense.

Priscilla

At 04:58 PM 6/16/01, Shawn Goodson wrote:
>All,
>     If it helps here is a link that has some good information on WOL. There
>is a link to AMD in the online references, that has a white paper that
>breaks down actual frame, and discusses network and platform issues with
>WOL. One section describes how the engineers at IBM used the subnet directed
>broadcast for WOL. We don't incorporate the feature at our sites. But I
>might try to tinker with it in the lab after reading the posts (peaked my
>interest).
>
>http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/wol-mini-howto.htm
>l#toc4
>
>             Aloha