Brian,

I've seen so many network engineers with NO experience in the Unix
arena.  I am not trying

to start a flame war here. Moreover, I am not asking network engineers to
be an expert with

Unix.  Just know enough so that you can get the job done.  I work for an
ISP and I have

CCIEs come to me and ask me to troubleshoot Tacacs+ (our company runs
Tacacs on Linux

and BSD platforms) and add/delete Tacacs account and restart Tacacs
process.  Come on

guys/gals, at this level, a CCIE should know a little bit about Unix
platforms, how to restart

a process, reboot the system and install the software (by the way, we
compile Tacacs from

the source code).  That's why I really Juniper Operating System (JUNOS).
Juniper requires

users to be familiar with Unix Operating Systems because Juniper is
derived from BSD

Operating System.  No wonder Juniper is kicking Cisco's ass in the
carrier space.

Just my 0.02c

Kevin

>From: Brian >To: kevin jones >CC: >Subject: RE: Security Assessment
Tools [7:8837] >Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:11:22 -0700 (PDT) > >Remember
the original sender's request, unix skills are weak so windows is
>preferred. The reason businesses are afraid is that when something goes
>wrong, companies want to be able to lean on then blame an external
>organization. > >Brian "Sonic" Whalen >Success = Preparation +
Opportunity > > >On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, kevin jones wrote: > > > I don't
understand why people are afraid of the Open-Source movement and > >
continue > > > > paying for expensive propriertary softwares have hidden
bugs in there. > > If you are looking for > > > > Security Assessment
tools, try nessus. This is an excellent piece of > > software. I've run
it > > > > on both Linux and BSD platforms (sorry I've not much of
windows) and this > > software just > > > > blows my mind. It is also
FREE. Below is a link that compares security > > scanners from > > > >
ISS, Network Associates, Axent and Nessus. Guess who the winner is: > >
NESSUS. > > > > Come join the Open-Source movement. > > > >
http://www.nwc.com/1201/1201f1b1.html > > > > Kevin > > > > >From:
"William E. Gragido" >Reply-To: "William E. Gragido" >To: > >
[EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: RE: Security Assessment Tools [7:8837] > >
>Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:25:29 -0400 > >Paul is absolutely correct. We
> > are partners with ISS and its still a costly >piece of software,
however > > its a brilliantly coded one~! > >Will > >-----Original
Message----- > > >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of > > >Paul Borghese >Sent:
Saturday, June 16, 2001 2:27 PM >To: > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject:
Re: Security Assessment Tools [7:8837] > > > > >Plan to pay big bucks for
ISS. Try "saint" http://www.wwdsi.com/saint if > > >you need a less
expensive scanner. > >Paul Borghese >----- Original > > Message -----
>From: "Nigel Taylor" >To: >Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 > > 1:05 PM
>Subject: Re: Security Assessment Tools [7:8837] > > > > Brad, > > > >
You might want to look at ISS they have a pretty good product. > > > >
Here's the link to their site.. There's a good product likewise on Linux
redhat > > > > linux distribution. > > > > www.iss.net > > > > HTH > > >
> Nigel. > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: Brad
Ellis > > To: > > > > Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 11:47 AM > > Subject:
Security Assessment > > Tools [7:8837] > > > > > > > Hey gang! Can anyone
recommend any security > > assessment tools for Cisco > > >
routers/firewalls (more than just a port > > scanner)? I'd prefer
something > > > Windows based as my Unix skills are > > misconduct and
Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > >