Here's my quick take on these services. It's been awhile since I thought
about LANE :)

Keep in mind that ATM is NBMA, ie has no concept of broadcast.  LANE
basically attempts to make a rich and capable ATM backbone look like a dull
and boring broadcast LAN.  Pretty much due to the fact that ATM never
reached out to the desktop like it could have.

A LEC - Lan emulation client is a device that connects an ethernet based
broadcast domain to a an ATM emulated broadcast domain.  It has a valid ATM
address and proxies communication for all the non ATM devices connected to
it along with itself.  The LEC must connect to a LAN emulation server (LES)
which is a device that knows where all the LEC's live and facilitates LEC to
LEC connectivity.  The LECS (lan emulation configuration server) sits at a
well known address and is what the LECs use to initially find the LES.  Hard
coding all the LEC's with a LES address would get around this, but at a
serious scalability cost. A BUS, (Broadcast/Unknown Server) much like the
LES (and often the same box) also maintains connectivity to all the LEC's
and allows one LEC to psuedo broadcast to all others using it as a relay.

I hope that makes some sense and isn't grossly inaccurate :)  Galina Pildush
has a good ATM paper on Certificationzone.com that should make more sense :)

Pete