Thanks for replies,

Checked the health of the serial lines. They showed nothing at all, not one
error.
There was an increase in traffic on the serial interfaces, but not on any
other.  Jim Gillen suggested a routing loop and it could be the case that
something is bouncing back and forth between the interfaces.
I've yet to sift through the two routing tables.
Couldn't see anything out of the ordinary in the debug crypto ipsec, but
have to admit my debug knowledge on encryption is lacking and didn't try
debug ip isakmp.
Before we had to put the workaround in, we managed to get a debug ip packet
on the serial interface which showed a fair bit of traffic between the two
serial addresses. It's running in transport mode, so I take it the only
traffic between these interfaces is the two routers talking to each other
(rather than encapsulated traffic)

Regards,

Gareth