I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around a specific scenario and I
wanted to get your thoughts.  Let's say we have a hub and spoke network
with a single router as the hub.  There are five areas attached to the
backbone.  It seems that we would have to extend area 0 across the WAN
links, but I'm wondering what would happen if we didn't.

If we didn't, the backbone router would have no interfaces in area 0.
I'm wondering if this would cause some major problems.  I bet that it
would but I'm having a hard time thinking through what actual problems
might arise. Would this backbone router just "know" that it was area 0
because it has interfaces in multiple non-zero areas and hence behave
correctly?

One obvious problem is that the backbone router would be a member of
every area and would thus be pretty busy if the network got to be very
big.  If we extended area 0 across the WAN link the backbone router
would be protected from running SPF calculations everytime a remote area
had a link change.

What other problems would arise?  Would this even work at all?  I don't
really have the tools to try it or I'd just attempt this chaos myself.
As you can guess, we run eigrp everywhere so I'm still clueless to some
of the workings of OSPF in a production environment.

Regards,
John