Thank you for clarifying that.  I was having some difficulty reconciling
this and I was curious about how it might behave in a production
environment.  I doubt I'd ever configure a network like this, I just
wondered if it was even possible to configure.  The way our network is
designed, if we were running OSPF and I chose not to extend area 0 over
the WAN links, the hub router would be participating in 24 areas.  I'm
guessing that's not a good idea.  :-)

I'm going to have to unpack another router so I can play with this at
home.  I was hoping not to have to bring out the 4000 series router,
it's so loud!

Thanks,
John

>>> "Pamela Forsyth"  6/21/01 10:08:39 AM >>>
John,

I just tried this out, and the newer IOS versions (after 11.2) *will*
let
you use a loopback interface as area 0 with different non-zero areas
defined on the spokes.

There is no reason for the traffic actually to travel over the area 0
link,
but area 0 must be in the hub router for the inter-area LSAs to be
advertised to the spoke routers.  OSPF is just populating the IP
routing
table; it is not making forwarding decisions.  The router in this
instance
will not try to send traffic over an extra link just because of an OSPF

rule about backbones. ;-)

Again, your mileage may vary, depending on IOS version.

Pamela

At 09:54 AM 6/21/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes, I'm replying to myself.
>
>While doing some reading it occurred to me why *not* extending area 0
across
>the WAN links should not work.  In OSPF, unlike IS-IS, an area is
defined by
>links, not routers.  The rule states that interarea traffic must go
through
>area 0.  Well, if areas are defined by links, then this means that
interarea
>traffic must at least go across one link that is defined as an area 0
link.

>In a hub-and-spoke environment with a single hub router, it seems to
me that
>there just is no good way to use multiarea OSPF if you don't extend
area 0
>across the WAN links.
>
>At least, that's the way it appears at the moment.
>
>John
>
>|  I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around a specific scenario and
>|  wanted to get your thoughts.  Let's say we have a hub and spoke
network
>|  with a single router as the hub.  There are five areas attached to
the
>|  backbone.  It seems that we would have to extend area 0 across the
WAN