From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of John
Neiberger
Sent:   Wednesday, June 20, 2001 8:21 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: Config Register Weirdness, again... [7:9181]

Alright, I figured it out!  The guy who configured this router (and the last
one that was acting strangely) set the line speed on the console port to
115200 by adding 'speed 115200' in the config.  After playing around a bit
I've noticed that speed changes to the console port automatically adjust the
configuration register, but not always in expected ways.

In this case, the config register was changed to 0x3922 which sets the speed
to 2400.  Changing the speed to 38400 sets the config register to 0x2922
which will set the port speed to 4800 upon reboot.  Weird, huh?  I don't get
the correlation.

Why does 115200 = 2400 upon reboot?  And 38400 = 4800?  Hmm.... something's
fishy, but at least that explains the weirdness I've noticed lately.

Moral of the story:  beware of changing the line speed on your console
port!  It may cause behavior you don't expect!

And I still haven't figured out why the register was set to 0x4000 in the
beginning.

Oh well, back to work...

John