Agreed that there are few if any written materials that do a decent job of
explaining how OSPF works and why. Disclaimer - I have not read Tom Thomas'
book. But I have read a number of others, including the RFC. Plus my Lab
prep work.

One problem is that most of us don't understand the difference between
routing and routing protocols. Routing protocols are one means, but only
means, of getting routes into the routing table. Routing forwards or drops
packets based on the contents of the routing table.

Lack of understanding of how and why OSPF operates can lead to question like
"when there is a virtual link connecting a discontiguous area to the
backbone, does traffic travel across the transit area to the backbone, and
then back into the transit area?"

Area_2----area_1------area_0

If there is a virtual link from area 2 into the backbone, does traffic bound
for area 1 from area two have to go to area 0 first? The answer is two fold.
The area 2/area abr is now part of area 0. This allows area 2 to learn about
area 1 routes. And secondly, when a router receives a packet, it is the
routing process ( not the routing protocols ) that determine the forwarding.

Another question - do OSPF area numbers have to be unique? Answer is no they
don't. in a multiple area network, as long as there is an area 0, all other
areas can have the same number. there is nothing in an LSA that identifies a
route with an area. A corollary of this is that in a single area network,
there does not have to be an area 0. Why?

Got a good one. Do virtual links have to be point to point?

Area_3-----area_2----area_1------area_0

You can create a virtual link from area 3 to area 2 and a second link from
area 2 to area 0 - it works. Good example of this in Slattery's book.

Over time I have come to appreciate the Cert zone / Berkowitz approach,
which is to attain understanding of how things work. one might be surprised
at the number of people with very high level certification who can make, but
who don't know why it works.

Chuck