I used that phrase to refer to the fact that non-backbone OSPF areas
must use the backbone to communicate; they cannot communicate directly
to each other.   To save myself some typing--after saying the same thing
several times--I used shorthand and referred to this as the area zero
rule.  There's probably another term for this aspect of OSPF routing but
if there is, it's slipping my mind at the moment.

>>> "Gareth Hinton"  6/21/01 2:53:35 PM

Im fairly sure I understand most of the rules regarding area zero, but
have
heard a few people referring to "the area zero rule". Is there a fixed
definition of the area zero rule somewhere?

Thanks,

Gaz

""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
> In this scenario, with a small number of routers an area zero isn't
> really necessary.  However, expand this to 100 routers in 20 or so
> groups and an area zero starts to make sense.  However, in my
original
> post I wasn't concerned with best practices.  I was only curious as
> how OSPF would behave if I were to try to configure it that way.
>
> I was trying to reconcile a couple of things.  I've always read that
in
> multiarea OSPF, all interarea traffic must go through area zero.  If
> areas are defined by links and not routers, then does that mean all
> traffic must flow over a link defined as area zero?  That was really
the
> issue and Pamela answered that for me.
>
> This scenario occurred to me while reading the area zero rule and
then
> thinking about a hub-and-spoke configuration with a single hub
router.
> I would never suggest that someone actually configure the network
that
> way, I simply was wondering how OSPF would behave in a hub and spoke
> network with no area zero configured.  As it turns out, the loopback
> interface can be placed in area zero, thus fulfilling that
requirement.

> John

> A couple of questions / thoughts
>
> In the scenario mentioned, is an area zero really necessary? I.e.
why
> not
> throw all routers into a singe area, whatever it's name? In hub and
> spoke,
> all inter-spoke traffic will have to go through the hub anyway, no
> matter
> what the protocol.
>
> Another thing to keep in mind, is that OSPF does not in and of
itself
> change
> the way routing works. When a router receives a packet, it checks
the
> destination address, compares this to routes in the routing table,
and
> if
> there is a match, forwards the packet out the appropriate interface.
It
> does
> not say "hmmm, I have a directly connected interface that matches,
but
> this
> is an OSPF router, therefore I will forward the packet to the
backbone
> router first" :->
>
> How's stuff, Pamela?
>
> Chuck