From: Peter I. Slow
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493]

Did you guys read what happened to me when i freaked at someone like that?
Take a look at the thread "how to track down unused ports on a switch "
and then stop ripping on people who flame you for saying something stupid.
or.
stop saying stupid things.
or
just keep your mouth shut if you cant say anything useful.

BTW, d0rk, i can establish an IP connection to the AUX interface via the AUX
interface/PPP. isnt that an interface?
if all the interfaces fail that wouldnt work either.

stop being dicks.

Love,
Peter Slow.
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 6:42 PM

> [...]
> indication of the quality of people that Qwest hires.  What an ass!
>
> Mike W.
>
> "kevin jones"  wrote in message
> > Can you explain to me how you can telnet into the router if "all
> > interfaces fail" with the exception of the loopback interface?  If ALL
> > interfaces fail, the only way you can get to the router is via console
or
> > AUX.  And you call yourself a CCNP.  No wonder the value of Cisco
> > certification value (with the exception of the CCIE) is becoming less
> > desirable these days.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > Juniper Network Certified Internet Expert (JNCIE)
> >
> > Qwest Communiations
> >

> > >From: "Inno. Ama" >Reply-To: "Inno. Ama" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493] >Date: Fri, 22
> > Jun 2001 14:57:53 -0400 > >Sue, > >In addition to what ER had to say,
the
> > main purpose of >loopback address is actually contained in your
> > >question.....loopback interface is always up/up, and >this helps you to
> > possibly get into the router when >there is problem and all interfaces
> > fail, now you can >see what is going on and troubleshoot after you have
> > >telneted into the router.... > >inno/ccnp >--- Ednilson Rosa wrote: > >
> > Sorry, > > > > Just a correction: the mask usually used for a > >
> > loopback intf is /32 > > (255.255.255.255) and not /24 (255.255.255.0).

> > > From: "Ednilson Rosa" > > To: > > Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 1:20 PM
>
> > > Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? > > [7:9493] > > > > > >
> > A loopback interface may be used for many purposes. > > You may use it
as
> > the > > end of a tunnel on a VPN configuration or you may > > configure
> > it just to have > > a stable router-id for OSPF, for instance. > > > >
> > You don't need to configure it. They are optional > > and you may use
any
> > address scheme > > in your network, then they must be planned for some >
> > > specific function by who > > designed the network. You should not
> > change it > > before knowing what function > > is this (what may be
> > achieved by analyzing your > > configuration carefully). > > > > The
> > subnet mask used on a loopback intf isn't also > > necessarily /24. This
> > is > > frequently used though, to economize address space, > > since you
> > don't need to > > differentiate network and host on this segment. In > >
> > this case, host and > > network are the same and routing is performed
> > with > > no problem. > > > > ER > > CCNA > > > > ----- Original Message
> > ----- > > From: "Susan Stone" > > To: > > Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001
> > 7:22 AM > > Subject: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493] > > > > >
> > > Hi, > > > > I always wonder what is loopback interface for? Can > >
> > anyone explained its > > function? Can we don't configure the loopback >
> > > interface. Our WAN Lookback > > always start with 192.168.X.X why?
Must