dickhead

-----Original Message-----
From: kevin jones [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 3:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493]

Can you explain to me how you can telnet into the router if "all
interfaces fail" with the exception of the loopback interface?  If ALL
interfaces fail, the only way you can get to the router is via console or
AUX.  And you call yourself a CCNP.  No wonder the value of Cisco
certification value (with the exception of the CCIE) is becoming less
desirable these days.

Kevin

Juniper Network Certified Internet Expert (JNCIE)

Qwest Communiations

>From: "Inno. Ama" >Reply-To: "Inno. Ama" >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493] >Date: Fri, 22
Jun 2001 14:57:53 -0400 > >Sue, > >In addition to what ER had to say, the
main purpose of >loopback address is actually contained in your
>question.....loopback interface is always up/up, and >this helps you to
possibly get into the router when >there is problem and all interfaces
fail, now you can >see what is going on and troubleshoot after you have
>telneted into the router.... > >inno/ccnp >--- Ednilson Rosa wrote: > >
Sorry, > > > > Just a correction: the mask usually used for a > >
loopback intf is /32 > > (255.255.255.255) and not /24 (255.255.255.0). >
> > > Rgards, > > > > ER > > CCNA > > > > ----- Original Message ----- >
> From: "Ednilson Rosa" > > To: > > Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 1:20 PM >
> Subject: Re: what is loopback interface for ? > > [7:9493] > > > > > >
A loopback interface may be used for many purposes. > > You may use it as
the > > end of a tunnel on a VPN configuration or you may > > configure
it just to have > > a stable router-id for OSPF, for instance. > > > >
You don't need to configure it. They are optional > > and you may use any
> > address you want. If loopback intfs are following a > > specific
address scheme > > in your network, then they must be planned for some >
> specific function by who > > designed the network. You should not
change it > > before knowing what function > > is this (what may be
achieved by analyzing your > > configuration carefully). > > > > The
subnet mask used on a loopback intf isn't also > > necessarily /24. This
is > > frequently used though, to economize address space, > > since you
don't need to > > differentiate network and host on this segment. In > >
this case, host and > > network are the same and routing is performed
with > > no problem. > > > > ER > > CCNA > > > > ----- Original Message
----- > > From: "Susan Stone" > > To: > > Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001
7:22 AM > > Subject: what is loopback interface for ? [7:9493] > > > > >
> Hi, > > > > I always wonder what is loopback interface for? Can > >
anyone explained its > > function? Can we don't configure the loopback >
> interface. Our WAN Lookback > > always start with 192.168.X.X why? Must
we use > > private IP? I found I can > > telnet to a remote router using
its loopback IP. > > But I wonder How I route > > as it always have the
subnet mask of > > 255.255.255.255. Then which is the > > network and
which the host > > > > Susan > >