Comments within and below.

> Subject: Dead console port [7:9621]
>

> > Okay gang, here's a challenge that I'm trying to overcome
(warning:
> it
> may
> > not be solvable)
> >
> > I just got a 2514 where I couldn't get any response from
the console
> port.

Can you be very specific here?  Does this mean that you saw
absolutely *zero* characters go by on the screen, or that any
amount of input on your part did not cause any reaction on the
part of the router?

> > Of course, I tried changing baud rates, etc,

When you say you tried changing "baud rates, etc" How exactly
did you do this?  I have found that a lot of folks never
complete *all* the necessary steps to fully change over to a
different speed setting in hyperterm.  To be precise, did you
do the following for each console speed (1200bps, 2400bps,
4800bps) change listed in the paragraphs below?

I'll assume you are using hyperterm.  If you are, you will need
to disconnect the connection(phone off hook button).  Once
disconnected, go into the properties button (hand with a piece
of paper?) and select the configure button. Change the console
speed to 1200bps. Press okay twice.  **Close hyperterm** and
reopen it.  Hyperterm is now set to read/operate at 1200bps.

At this point, you would want to reload the router.  Hopefully,
within the first 15-20 seconds you should see something you
recognize. If not, redo the procedures in the paragraph above
for both 2400bps and 4800bps respectively. Once you do get
recognizable text, send a regular break to the router.  Use the
rommon procedures to reset the config register to 0x2142:

>o/r 0x2142

but when I finally
> connected
> > the AUX port, I was able to get in.

I assume this was the first time you tried the AUX port?  also,
what speed was Hyperterm's console set to when you accessed the
AUX port?  Remember, the AUX port speed is set with the values
specified in the startup config.  Since there is nothing set to
interrupt that startup config, it can be any of the following
possible values: 1200bps, 2400bps, 4800bps, or 9600bps.  Also
don't forget that somebody who was messing with the config
could have set other parameters, such as stopbits, etc.

The enable password was cisco, so
> > gleefully got into the config and changed the config
register, hoping
> that
> > would solve the problem.

You have not mentioned what value you had and what value you
changed it to.  Can I presume that the config register was set
to something other than 0x2102?  If so, what value did it
have?  When you changed it back presumably to 0x2102, did you
remember to reset hyperterm's console speed to use 9600bps
using the procedure above?

 It didn't, so I did the next (very stupid)
> thing -
> > I erased the config (I'm beating my head against the desk
as I type).

Well, if you mean to say you erased the config, I assume you
meant "erase startup"?  if so, the default settings should have
allowed access to the AUX port once the router was fully
booted.  The big assumption here is that your hyperterm
settings were set to 9600, 8, N, 1 and no flow control.  If
not, the AUX port may not work.

> Now,
> > of course, the problem is when I go to the AUX port and try
to get
> into
> > enable mode, I can't ("no password set").

So you are able to access the AUX port, but it will not permit
you to set a privileged level password via the AUX port. That
is not good.  The AUX port cannot be used for password
recovery, but I am sure you have already figured that out.
Even if you could send a break to the router somehow without
using the keyboard (electrically), you would still not be able
to access the AUX port to change the config register.

> > Is there any way for me to "bypass" the console port by
using the AUX
> port,

Not for password recovery purposes.

> > or have I just rendered this device useless until I find a
way to fix
> the
> > console port?

To my knowledge, it is not repairable.  The best you can do is
get a Smartnet Contract for it and send it to the great router
heaven in the sky (a.k.a Cisco's dumpsters :-)

 I don't think I can get into ROMMON mode from the AUX
> port,

Correct.

> > and I can't get into priveleged EXEC mode, either.

Make 100% sure you cannot access the router from each of the
console speeds mentioned.  A router without a fully functioning
console port is a disaster waiting to happen. If the console
port really and truly is dead, you need to get rid of the router
(hopefully viia replacement from Smartnet).

HTH,

Paul Werner

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more