Kent..... I have some questions........ they're inline....

"Kent Hundley"  wrote in message
> Symon,
>
> Unfortunately, its not as simple as looking at the DE packets.  Simply
> looking at DE packets alone doesn't tell you anything really.  The reason
is
> that if the FR cloud doesn't experience congestion, those DE packets will
> get there just as well as the non-DE packets.  Some carriers encourage
their
> customers to use 0K CIR because "we don't oversubscribe our network", so
> _all_ packets are marked DE. (Sprint used to do this, don't know if they
> still do or not)

This is good...... I often heard that people would suggest 0 CIR so that
they could oversubscribe the #*&$  out of their network =)
Then when people's traffic didn't go through they could go "well we agreed
to carry 0"

> If you see the FECN's spike without a corresponding spike in the DE, that
> means your provider is experiencing congestion, but its on a backbone link
> and not your link.  This means the provider's links are over-subscribed
and
> your packets are likely getting dropped without being marked DE.

If this happens, and you sniff both sides and show that you're sending more
than you're receiving  (i.e. you prove that you have packets being lost
without being marked DE), isn't that a violation of your CIR agreement
(assuming it's > 0)?  Since nothing should get marked DE except for packets
over CIR, I can see how the logic makes sense, but does this happen often?

Mike W.