1.  Reading about configuration
2.  Interactive Mentors
3.  Actual configuration

#1 is free or low cost (it's a combination of http://www.cisco.com website
config guides and maybe Cisco Lan Switching books)
#2 is low cost and pretty effective from what I've heard
#3 may be low cost if you find someone who has a Cat5000 that you can
'borrow' or a renting a virtual lab (I've heard of one that is $45 for 12
hours - a great value), or buy one (that's the high-cost alternative)

I couldn't comment on which would be adequate, but if the switching portion
is worth 10 points, then that's 10% of the lab score...so you'll have to
decide how much depth to cover in your switching studies.

good luck in your studies
-e-