The reason you cant ping from the router itself is that when you specified
what traffic to encrypt and send to the tunnel  you  only specified the
subnets behind the firewall and router.  If you try and ping the other side
it will not go through the tunnel because it is not a match on the
access-list.  That is one of the reasons.  I cant say that is the only
reason cuz I don't know what your configs look like.

Hope that helps

George, Head Janitor, CCNA CCDA
Cisco Systems