Stan,

are you seeing the other switch via cdp from both sides of the link ?
I had a similar issue where i could see the other switch via cdp what
fooled me into thinking that there is bidirectional communication possible.
On the other side i saw no cdp neigbor. The link light was fine on both
sides.
After inspecting the cable and replacing a bad connector it worked fine.

HTH

Reinhold