Okay, I'm going to correct myself.  I can't believe I even wrote this, since
that last statement makes on sense.  Please ignore any references to subnet
zero;  it absolutely does not apply in this scenario.  I plead temporary
insanity and ask for forgiveness.  :-)

|  Gotcha.  In that case, 10.20.1.104 is the subnet address.  It's a /30, so
|  .105 and .106 are the valid host addresses if you're not using subnet
zero.

|  HTH,
|  John
|
|  |  Hi all
|  |
|  |  To make myself clearer, I put output of "sh ip route connected"
|  |
|  |  What I asked previously was that I was not able to ping 10.20.1.104
that
|  is
|  |  said to be directly connected, Serial 0.1
|  |
|  |  I was wondering what ip address it would be
|  |
|  |  WAMS>sh ip ro c
|  |
|  |  172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 49 subnets, 3 masks
|  |
|  |  C 172.16.111.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0
|  |
|  |  10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 61 subnets, 3 masks
|  |
|  |  C 10.20.1.104/30 is directly connected, Serial0.1
|  |
|  |  Thanks all
|  |
|  |  JP
|  |
|  |
|  |
|  |  > Show ip route connected will show any networks that are directly
|  connected
|  |  > to a local interface.  If you can't ping the interface, then you
have a
|  |  > problem either locally or on the remote side of the link.
|  |  >
|  |  > When you ping a local interface, the packet actually traverses the
|  link,
|  |  > then back, then across again, and then back again.  It's crazy, but
|  that's
|  |  > the way it works.  If you're experiencing any sort of line issues or
if
|  |  > things aren't configured correctly, pings to a local interface may
|  fail.
|  |  >
|  |  > HTH,
|  |  > John
|  |  >
|  |  > |  Hi all
|  |  > |  We have eigrp network.
|  |  > |  When I do "sh ip rou co" --- what ip address are those under "C"?
it
|  |  says
|  |  > it
|  |  > |  is directly connected. Then why couldn't I ping?
|  |  > |  It is not local router's interface address, or remote router's
|  serial
|  |  > |  interface. Then what ip address ?
|  |  > |  Thanks
|  |  > |  JP
|  |  > |
|  |  > |