Shella - I guess you haven't been around the list for long - Mr Johnson, Sr
comes up with some great replies on occassion, but he is renowned for terse,
facitious answers like that, so please don't take it personally.

Something I encourage everyone who posts on the list to do is to do at least
a little bit of research on their question prior to posting - In the case of
CSU/DSU, I could go on at length about how they convert a serial data stream
onto a digital transmission media, how they are capable of different
encoding and framing formats, etc.  I could also just define the terms (CSU
= channel service unit, DSU = data service unit).  There are drop and insert
CSU's, DS-X units,  sub-rate multiport units...why you'd need the two
together rather than just a CSU, ad nauseum.  Of course, I make the broad
assumption that everyone who uses email or a newserver knows how to do an
websearch, which is a very faulty assumption at the best  ;-)

Then, with a little bit of background understanding, a detailed question can
be formed from that, such as
I'm confused about when would I use a standard CSU as opposed to a CSU/DSU
unit?  or
How would I know what framing (d4/sf/esf) and encoding (b8zs/ami/hdb3) to
use on a CSU in a back-to-back setup? or
How do the 24 channels in a T1 get decoded by a CSU/DSU? or What does a CSU
do with a bipolar violation?

rather than the very broad question that was asked.

this was the first page that came up when I did a search on www.google.com
for csu/dsu overview:
http://www.networkcomputing.com/1016/1016buyers2.html

-e-