From: Patrick Ramsey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 11:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Failover distance between two PIXes [7:11468]

Without the serial cable, there is no way to keep the configs updated on
both machines.  The ethernet cables are actualy what control failover.

In theory, you could run ip to and from a termserver on either end and
connect to a local serial port from that term server to the pix.

IE. PIX1---->serial to TS1------>ethernet----->TS2------->serial to pix2

Remember for failover to take place though you still have to have an
ethernet connection between the two, and for stateful failover it must be
full duplex.

-Patrick

>>> "RB Jsn Eggert Gupmundsson"  07/09/01 11:18AM >>>
Is there any way to create failover between PIXes over longer distance than
the max limit of the failover cable (modified RS-232). I am thinking of
connecting two houses. The distanse between them is around 2 kilometers.
There is an Gb Ethernet optical cable between them that I can use if the PIX
supports it. I have looked on the CCO but have not seen any article about
this.

Regards
Jon Eggert Gudmundsson
Network Administrator