Chuck,

            Thank you for another well put response.  One good we can all
ask ourselves now is
In the end, does my skill set, comportment, and insight, bring to a
situation the value a "CCIE" should project/display.

Nigel..

>From: "Chuck Larrieu" >Reply-To: "Chuck Larrieu" >To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: RE: FYI CCIE Changes announced [7:12345]
>Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 19:58:41 -0400 > >I don't suppose any of you
geeks on this list have ever studied any >economics? ;-> > >The laws of
supply and demand are still in effect. Consider: > >1) there are tens of
thousands of us wannabees in the pipeline, drawn >because of the
anticipated salaries and other benefits the certification >permits. lab
format change or no, how many CCIE's will there be in five >years, given
current award rates? by my estimate well over 12,000. > >2) there are
powerful business advantages to consulting firms with enough >CCIE's on
staff to meet the highest Cisco Partner level. > >3) it has been
difficult for companies to obtain and / or retain CCIE's > >4) it is
expensive to set up and run testing facilities. in times of >economic
slowdown, particularly for a company whose stock has lost 75% of >its
value in the last year, Cisco management has other priorities. > >5)
Cisco is a marketing company first and foremost. Their sole interest is
>in selling product > >6) Cisco is under pressure from its channel to do
something to help the >channel obtain the highest partnership status. >
>7) the dirty unspoken truth is that everyone - Cisco, the channel
partners, >customers - want something to happen to limit the salaries
CCIE's currently >demand. The only way that can happen is if there is a
surplus of CCIE's in >the marketplace. CCIE's and CCIE candidates, of
course, hope otherwise. > >There is nothing that can be done to stop this
train. thousands in the >pipeline. thousands want their turn on the gravy
train. the situation has >occurred because of a shortage of skilled
labor. supply and demand. salaries >rose. with thousands drawn into the
game, salaries will level out, or even >decline. > >when I was in high
school, the gospel of the day was that a college degree >was the ticket
to the good life. by the time I got my degree, it was not >unheard of to
find ads for people with college degrees who could lift 50 >pounds. >
>one last comment to end this long and ponderous post. I'm one of those
whose >next lab attempt will be the one day format. so when I pass I will
be one of >the CCIE with the *. NOT. the CCIE will remain as valuable as
the person who >wears it. Mr. Employer - mediocre employees are a dime a
dozen. Outstanding >employees are invaluable. In the end, it is your
skill set, your >comportment, your insight, and the value you bring to a
situation that gives >value. Not a 2 day versus a 1 day lab. > >best
wishes to everyone in their journey to the top. > >Chuck > >
>-----Original Message----- >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of >anand ghody >Sent: Saturday,
July 14, 2001 11:31 AM >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: Re: FYI CCIE
Changes announced [7:12345] > > >I think this also means that you are
going to see the prestige of the >certification >diminish. Part of the
prestige is that only a few people in the world have >the >certification.
If say 80- 85% of people taking the exam pass then >increasing the number
>of people taking the exam will increase the amount of people that pass
(more >people will >be certified at a faster rate). Part of the reason
CCIE are paid so much is >that there >are so few out there. From a supply
and demand perspective does this not >decrease the >monetary advantage of
attaining the certification for the individual. For >Cisco this is >great
( more people being certified in their equipment at a higher level).
>This comes >at an especially opportune time when the competition is
beginning to creep >up on them. >What better way to market yourself than
to say look at the amount of "highly >trained" >individuals out there who
can support my equipment. > >John Hardman wrote: > > > Hi All > > > >
Well Cisco has announced their plans... > > > >
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/ccie_program/whatsnew.html > >
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]