>That's a scary thought: CCIEs who develop protocols. ;-]

I know very few respected protocol or platform designers that ever
mentioned having a CCIE.  On the other hand, it only occasionally
comes up that one has a PhD, which isn't always in a relevant
discipline.  I'm amused by the degree requirement--I could see an
argument for a master's or doctorate, but the undergraduate computer
science program gets into relatively little you need to know to
design and implement protocols, other than as a coder.

Personally, I'm a much better developer than I am a support person.
There's overlap between the skills of product/protocol design and
large network design, but much less with troubleshooting.

Even quality testing is a somewhat different skill set than
troubleshooting.  For example, has anyone seen a Cisco exam that
explored the differences among conformance, interoperability, and
performance testing?  The difference between a correct but boundary
condition event, a syntactically incorrect event, and an inopportune
event?