Incline comment

>>And the question often is, "what problem are you trying to solve by
>>routing between VLANs?"  There certainly are reasons, in a campus
>>environment, to bridge between VLANs with a L2 switch, such as the
>>VLAN users in one or more buildings and the servers for that VLAN in
>>a separate central computer room.
>
>What are you guys talking about with this bridging between VLANs? Are you
>talking about, for example, a Cisco router configured to do bridging? Or
>are you talking about doing this, for example, on Cisco switches? If you
>have implemented VLANs how do you bridge between them on a switch? Why
>don't you just combine them into one VLAN?
>
>Sorry, if I'm being dense. I'm just trying to learn.
>
>Priscilla

Really talking about all of the above and non of the above all at once :)  I
simply wanted to separate as fully as possible the concept of routing and
VLANs that the statement "VLAN equals subnet" implies.  The point being that
VLANs are layer two broadcast domains and are truly agnostic to what
protocols utilize their service.  Hence, you can bridge them to grow them if
you so desire.  However, if you want to route, we are no longer talking
VLANs and now are in the realm of routed, routing, and routers.  To answer
your question, if I have two VLANs on a cisco switch, I can connect them
both to a bridge and voila, they are connected (hopefully spanning tree
works)  I haven't really achieved anything by doing this and likely have
done more harm the good, but I have illustrated that VLANs are a layer two
weed; fertilized by bridges and contained by routers if you will.

I'm reminded of two legacy items with respect to this thread however.
Firstly, last I checked, SNA was by far the most dominant protocol
configured on devices thanks to POS (that being point of sale vs packet over
sonet) and secondly, have we satisfied Hans's need for an answer at this
point? :)

Pete