There was actually some recent debate on this issue within the ISIS wg in
the IETF from some notable folks including Tony Li from Procket (ex
Juniper/Cisco).  In reality, there isn't a standard IP MTU in use which can
create some problems.  Some of the key issues include the use of private
addressing which breaks path MTU discovery and the ever more frequent use of
encapsulation strategies (IPSec/MPLS etc).  Some harmonization of this value
would certainly seem valuable.  Most major router vendors support MTU's up
to 9180 in size however, you see a lot of the following in the internet:
10/100 Ethernet devices at 1518, POS at 4470, FDDI at 4470 (less and less
FDDI) and GigE at  >4469, Greetings,