Have you done a search in Google? I would think you could find some info on
this with some work. Let us know what you find out. ;-)

My thought was that it would not be a good idea to use 572 bytes since so
many Internet devices send 1500-byte Ethernet frames. The 572 bytes size
would mean routers in the core of the Internet would have to do
fragmentation and reassembly which would really slow things down and be a
bad idea. So my guess is that the MTU is 1500 or greater wherever possible.

Priscilla

At 01:19 PM 7/31/01, Nabil Fares wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>What's the common/standard mtu on the internet backbone?  At one point all
>ISPs used 572 size.  Any internet resources you guys can point me to?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nabil

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com