In the same way that DLCIs only have local significance, it's also true
that LMI settings only matter between a given router and the frame relay
switch it connects to.  If you have local and remote sites, their LMI
settings can and probably will be different.

>From the routers perspective, you see Router
Router, when in reality you really have this:

RouterA----Frame Relay switch---------Frame Relay Switch------RouterB.
I've left out some parts, but you get the idea.  LMI is only relevant
between the router and its local frame relay switch.

In the above example, RouterA might need to use ANSI LMI while RouterB
might need to use Cisco LMI.  Or, they might both use ANSI or they could
both use Cisco.  The point is that it doesn't matter, as long as each
router is speaking the same language as the frame relay switch it is
attached to.

HTH,
John

>>> "Stepp Harless"  8/1/01 8:17:12 AM >>>
I am not totally clear on the way that the LMI settings are suppose to
be
configured and would appreciate any help explaining this or pointing be
to a
document which explains it clearly. My question is as far as setting up
the
LMI type on frame relay what is the correct way to configure this. On
Cisco's web site it states that the LMI type needs to be the same for
all
devices in the path from source to destination. On our frame relay
network
our central sites LMI type is set to ANSI and I have found that some of
our
remote sites are set to Cisco and some are setup as ANSI. The remote
connections that are setup as Cisco are working, however, I have
noticed
that many of the circuits which have been experiencing outages have
been at
the remote sites that are setup as Cisco instead of ANSI. Does anyone
know
if this is a known problem with LMI mismatch which could cause circuits
periodically bounce.

Any help is appreciated.