>I thought somebody was going to talk about masking instabilities.  But then
>that begs the question - in a typical enterprise network (therefore a small
>one of 100 routes or less), if you are suffering from routing instabilities,
>isn't your time better spent to try to figure out why your routes are so
>unstable and then remedying it rather than engaging in summarization in
>order to mask the instability.

But the summarization localizes the instability and speeds the time
to find the links that are flapping.

If I cut myself, and the wound stops bleeding, I am still likely to
put a dressing on it to keep it clean. A large percent of the time,
if the wound was clean to begin with, it won't get infected whether I
put the dressing on or not. There are certainly differences in local
practice -- American medical personnel wipe an injection site with
alcohol first, while Europeans generally don't -- and, for routine
injections (i.e., not, say arterial or IV), there's no noticeable
difference in infection rate.

Summarization is what the IETF calls "best current practice," because
experience shows that it tends to avoid problems.  One of the most
important reasons is that it forces, if you will, infection controls
onto your addressing plan. Hierarchical networks are much easier to
expand if your network suddenly grows, which it may in a world of
mergers and acquisitions.

I always wear my seat belt.

Oh...and as long as we're mentioning grails, I'm off to the IETF in
London. Perhaps I should request that I be addressed as Arthur, King
of the Britons, and that I am on a quest.