I agree that route summarisation may not speed up route lookup much.  But
there's other far more valid reasons for doing it.
The network I work with is not ISP size in terms of routes, but it's pretty
big, with hundreds of geographically dispersed sites - without
summarisation, we'd have thousands of routes.  Here's some reasons why we
summarise... mostly they would apply to smaller networks as well.
If you summarise (sensibly), you can hide route flaps from a large part of
the network.  If an ethernet segment in Bourke falls over, the router in
Broome really shouldn't have to care less.  By summarising, you restrict
the number of routers that have to recalculate routes, so routers spend
less time thinking about how to route and more time forwarding packets
(hopefully).
If you summarise (sensibly), you can reduce the amount of route information
in your routing tables.  Forget routing lookup time - depending on your
routing protocol, this can substantially reduce the amount of data that has
to be transferred between routers (less overhead traffic), and reduce the
amount of calculations the router has to do.  Again - less time doing (and
sending) background stuff, more time to route "real data".
If you summarise (sensibly), it's much easier to read the ip routing table
- fewer pages of info to wade through :-)

I tweaked the summarisation of our network several months ago.  Previously,
we had been having occasional problems that were usually being put down to
"OSPF recalculations" (mostly erroneously, IMO, but it was creaking
occasionally).  Since summarisation was beefed up, there have been no
problems (or maybe people just decided they couldn't point the finger at
OSPF any more :-)

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 02/08/2001

"nrf" @groupstudy.com on 02/08/2001 02:42:45 pm