--- nrf  wrote:
> I thought somebody was going to talk about masking
> instabilities.  But then
> that begs the question - in a typical enterprise
> network (therefore a small
> one of 100 routes or less), if you are suffering
> from routing instabilities,
> isn't your time better spent to try to figure out
> why your routes are so
> unstable and then remedying it rather than engaging
> in summarization in
> order to mask the instability.

There is no question begged.  You make it sound like
summarization is being used as a method to deal with a
crisis.  It is most emphatically not that.  It is a
network design principle/technique that can (among
other things) reduce the impact of routing instability
and isolate it so that you can deal with it
effectively and quickly.  Routing instability can be
caused by hardware failure, not just configuration
problems.  No one goes around summarizing routes in
the middle of an outage.  Summarization is considered
while designing and implementing the topology you have
decided upon.

Sound network designs should make sense, not just
merely work because you can throw CPU/memory at them.
Hierarchy simplifies understanding the network
topology and actually aids in the sensible deployment
of address space.

What you are advocating is merely sloppy thinking that
is excused only by its small scale: "Close enough for
government work."  What happens if that enterprise
succeeds and grows into a multinational with its own
AS and countless branch offices.  Heaven help you if
you are the hapless engineer that has to renumber and
redesign that klugey network that was built solely on
expediency.

Geoff.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/