Hello group,

I would like to protect my router against smurf attaque. For that I have to
set up a CAR on my serial interface. But I want to know how to determine the
proper amount of bandwidth for icmp packets for the CAR (I have a 8Mb/s
bandwidth interconnection to the Internet). By trail and error I have
determined a bandwidth of 128 kb/s.

CAR Configuration:

interface Serial 0
rate limit input access-group 102 128000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

access-list 102 permit icmp any any echo
access-list 102 permit icmp any any echo-reply

I have another question, can somebody tell me the threshold of icmp packets
(in kb/s) necessary to consume a host ressources

Thank you.

Rock BASSOLE
Til:  +33 (0) 1 45 96 22 03