"no ip directed-broadcast" only prevents your network
from being used as a smurf amp.  What you want to cut
down on a smurf attack on your network is:

ip verify unicast reverse-path

Also, if you are running BGP with your ISP(s) you can
establish a NULL_ROUTE non-transitive community with
them beforehand to route attack traffic to the bit
bucket.  When you notice an attack underway, your
router speaking bgp with the ISP peer can advertise
the /32 target with this community. Once this
propagates, the ISP ibr will drop the attack traffic
at ingress to the ISP network.  Note that if the
attack is well advanced, or your WAN link low
bandwidth to begin with, you may have already lost the
bgp peering session.  For this scenario, keep a low bw
ddr link that you can use to setup a peering session
and pass this advertisement.  Of course, this
blackholes whichever host is under attack so you are
accomplishing the DoSer's work for him/her.  It does
keep your network up while you are on hold waiting for
someone clueful in your ISP's NOC and prevents
excessive consumption of $ for the link.

Best regards,

Geoff Zinderdine
CCNP MCP CCA SOB

[EMAIL PROTECTED]