John Kale wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i have been trying to access a 2900xl switch thru the console port but this
> has proven to be very fustrating. the only thing i have done is that i have
> used all possible connection speed (all other setting remain the
> same)....connection is still nil (nothin at all on the windows hyperterm)
>
> all the 2900 i have tried (3 to be exact have the same problem) can
somebody
> help me please!!!!.....i can connect to all other cisco devices.

Make sure your console cable has all eight wires and that the DB9 or
DB25 adapter actually connects pins 1 & 8.  Unlike routers, the XL
switch console port uses hardware flow control.  If a lead is floating
(not connected), the switch sees that as a "don't transmit" condition.
This causes it to just buffer up all the output.  What you type is
acted upon, but you see no display.

  Marty Adkins                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Mentor Technologies              Phone: 240-568-6526
  133 National Business Pkwy       WWW: http://www.mentortech.com
  Annapolis Junction, MD  20701    Cisco CCIE #1289