continuing my inquiries into how this stuff really works operationally.

here's what I think: an OSPF packet is created, using an IP header. Protocol
89 is indicated in the protocol field. the source address is the interface
out which the packet is sent. the destination address is 224.0.0.5 or
224.0.0.6 depending. I suspect that the time to live is set to one (1), this
so that the packets don't rattle around forever.

however, in the case of a virtual link, where the V bit is set in the LSA,
while all other things in the IP header remain the same, I suspect that the
time to live is set to a higher value - maybe even to 255. after all, one
can't be sure how many hops across the transit area until one reaches the
router with the indicated RID.

anyone ever sniffed this, and know for sure? I'd like to verify that my idle
speculation approaches the truth.

Chuck