I would appreciate some good advice on this from some of you design boys and
girls out there.

I am going to upgrade some of our branch offices from ISDN and DSL to Frame
Relay, and I need to find the best suited devices to do that.

I want to move away from the (now) slow ISDN and unreliable (unfortunately)
DSL.

I have been browsing on Cisco's web site, and looking through my Cisco
Product Quick Reference Guide, but I am not 100% sure I have made the right
selections yet.

I would like to start out connecting my main office with four of our branch
offices - each with a 256 kbps bandwidth as a starter. My thoughts have been
as follows:

Main Office:

 o  Cisco 2610 with a WIC-1DSU-T1=

Branch Offices:

 o  Cisco 1604 with a WIC-1DSU-T1=

or

 o  Cisco 1720 with a WIC-1DSU-T1=

I am not sure if I should go with the 1604 or 1720.

The 1604 has ISDN-U which I could use as a backup connection in case the
Frame Relay goes down. The reason that I have not selected the 1601 with an
option for a ISDN-U WIC later on, is that the T1 doesn't have a build-in
CSU/DSU (why don't they have a 1600 with a fixed T1 with CSU/DCU?).

The 1720 is less expensive than the 1604, and I could then add the ISDN U
WIC later on if I decide that it is necessary. However, the 1700 is a VPN
router, and I don't need that, since it goes directly from one router to
another through the Frame Relay. I assume that this feature can be disabled.

So, back to my question - what would you buy?

Thanks for comments on this,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Ole Drews Jensen