I believe everyone who answered was correct with regards to the NAT
behaviour. With a single outside address being the entire global outside
 NAT with overload, essentially ) or even with a single static NAT to the
web server, any IP with a destination of the public address would
immediately go through the NAT process and be directed to the web server.

With NAT turned off, and policy routing enabled, the situation is a little
bit different. remember that policy routing takes a packet received on the
configured interface, and operates on it prior to that packet entering the
regular routing process. call it a "pre-routing process" if you will, or
routing process sub 0, as opposed to the regular routing process sub 1. I.e,
with policy routing enabled, if an inbound packet is destined for someplace
other than the interface on which it is received, it will first go through
the route map, and if there is no match, it will fall into the regular
routing process.

but what if the destination address of that packet is the interface itself?
ah! no routing because the packet has reached its destination. the router
hands that packet to the appropriate process ( in this case telnet ) and
responds accordingly.

hope you all enjoyed the puzzle.

Chuck