70/30? Who made that one up!?! ;-)

There's no exact number of course, but folk wisdom was always 80/20. 80% of
traffic stays local and 20% goes to a different part of the network. This
really got blown out of the water in the last 4-5 years because of
Intranets with corporate servers located centrally in server farms, a huge
amount of traffic heading out the door to the Internet, VPN and
remote-access traffic flowing back in the other way, a lot of AppleTalk and
Novell departmental servers being outlawed, etc. Some people have gone so
far as to say the equation has switched. 20% is local now and 80% is
non-local.

You would have to check traffic flows and volume on your own network for a
number you could really use. I have never seen 70/30. Is that really what
Cisco expects you to learn now? And which do they say is local and which is
non-local?

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com