In the version of the BCMSN course I took Cisco state that the
emerging campus network has moved away from the 80% local, 20%
cross networks model to the 20% local 80% on other networks.

As Chuck commented Cisco expect you to give the Cisco-approved
answer. Having said that your test will be multiple choice so I
wouldn't lose too much sleep on this. It is like the question
asking what routing protocol is suitable for a 'medium sized'
network. I think that it's absolute nonsense on its own but the
principles are sound.
-Jim

""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> is that 80 local 20 non-local? with Cisco revising the number
to 70 local
> and 30 non-local?
>
> I refer to Priscilla Oppenheimer's Top Down Network Design (
don't argue
> design without it :-> ) pp 20-21, the CID book written by
Robert Padjen, pp
> 26-27, and Howard Berkowitz's Designing routing and Switching
Architecture
>  wow! ), pages 35 and 575.
>
> Yes by all means learn the Cisco answer for the tests. Just
remember that
> Cisco tests in certain respects are not particularly
reflective of the real
> world, as at least three eminent real world experts indicate.
>
> Chuck

Behalf Of
> Chuck Larrieu
> Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 11:31 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: ccna question [7:15958]
>

> much as I hate to pass this one, because every response will
hit the
> moderator's queue (braindump is a forbidden word), I thought
this an honest
> question and that you were entitled to an answer.
>
> 80/20 or 70/30 what?
>
> are you referring to the old "80 percent of your LAN traffic
should be
> local, and 20 percent should be non-local" rule of good
design?

> I haven't seen the recent Cisco study materials, but from
other reading, I
> believe that current theory is that you can't go by this rule
any longer.
> Internet access, shared services, centralized server farms,
intranets, all
> have kinda blown all this local traffic versus non-local
traffic percentages
> by the wayside.
>
> to transform a phrase of Brian Eno's - the one Scott McNealy
probably stole.
> I know I sure did - the world is now the LAN.
>
> Chuck
>
> Eno: the recording studio is my synthesizer ( circa 1980 )
> McNealy: the network is the computer ( circa 1996 )
> Me: the telco network is the central office ( circa 1990 )

[EMAIL PROTECTED]