The famous IT answer to this question would be "that depends". Not spending
much money is a subjective term relative to the amount of money you
make......is $500 too much or $1000 too much? How far are you going to take
your studies? Do you want to do ISL trunking at some point down the road?
Are you thinking of playing around with terminating VPN tunnels. Maybe
running CBAC on a dual interfaced router between your DSL router or cable
modem and your internal SOHO/HOME network? There are so many cool things to
play with, and the bigger the better! What is it that you would like to do?

My recommendation would be to get a 2621 router.....then down the road
upgrade the flash and ram. You will be able to use this router as a frame
relay switch with the appropriate NM, terminate VPN tunnels, run CBAC, trunk
ISL, do all kinds of fun and crazy things with it. A lesser platform would
be able to some of the above but not all. If this is too expensive, then
take a look at the Cisco web site and check out the features of each of the
routers you are thinking about. I would get a 1700 series over a 1600 series
router but the 2524's aren't bad either. You won't be able run 3DES on
either the 1600 or 2500's. Take a look at www.cisco.com/go/fn to see what
features you can get on what platforms running what firmware feature
sets......a lot of what's and ifs variables.

HTH,
MikeN