oops. diddn't click reply all...

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Slow
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 11:43 AM
To: 'Wright, Jeremy'; Peter Slow
Subject: RE: Quick CCIE Written Question [7:16797]

when we speak about a network, we speak about a pair, a net id and a netmask
if we learn a route to a NETWORK, from eigrp, ospf, and from a static, we
will ONLY see the static in the routing table.

when we learn of a more specific network  (not necesarily that falls under
that network, (again, a pair, a net id and a netmask) it has a longer mask,
and although there is alread an entry that matches the network it is
specifying, it is inserted into the table. lets say we only have one of
these more specific routes, it doesnt matter where it's learned from. it
pops up in the routing table. its NOT the same network.
then, it matches all addresses matching it's network, even though they fall
under the other route with the lower admin distance, because it's LONGER.

ip route any.one.who.dis agr.ees.255.0 null 0

-humboldt