From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Patrick Ramsey
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 11:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: NAT using a single interface [7:16902]

you know... this is very hard suggesting this because I am one for finding
the absolute hardest way to accomplish any given project.  Especially one
that actually challenges me.  But hey... Sometimes being smart is about
taking the easy way...

Why not just run the cable modem to the second machine temporarily?  You
could even phone ahead to your cable company to have them change the mac if
need be, and when your connection stops working, you'll know to make the
switch!  :)  I think ATT actually allows up to 4 macs currently so you may
even be able to add a mac instead of exchange.

-Patrick

ps. this doesn't mean I have stopped working on the scenario!  :)

>>> "Leigh Anne Chisholm"  08/23/01 12:38PM >>>
Application:

Short term solution for a family member.  One PC is currently configured
with two NICs.  One is configured to access the internet, while the other is
configured with an IP address in the 192.168 network range.  The PC is used
as a gateway by another family member who is absolutely addicted to email.

The PC with the two NICs will be down for a couple of days--completely
pulled apart.  I'm not using my 1601R right now so I thought I'd see if I
could get DHCP and PAT working to translate between the 192.168 network and
the DHCP assigned IP address.  A 1601R as you likely know, only has one
Ethernet port.  Plug the cable modem into the hub, plug the router into the
hub.  I can get outbound from the router to the Internet, but the router
can't act as a gateway for the 192.168 clients because NAT is required.

I'm currently working on another project and don't have much time to
dedicate to this whimsical scenerio.  The archives have indicated lots of
people have dabbled with the theory of using NAT over a single interface--so
I was hoping someone actually got it to work.  No, I don't know a single
thing about NAT on a Cisco router.  At home, we've got a dedicated PC
running Linux to do the trick...  Our old 386 that used to be our
firewall/gateway is available but the room's pretty crowded and a 1601R
takes up a lot less space than another PC.

  -- Leigh Anne