You should understand which applications use which ports and why they use
them if you are a  network administrator and to implement any type of
filtering. You should check out which network applications you use (SMTP,
DNS,.. etc ) and look them all up in the rfc to see how they work. Making
the access-lists will be a snap after that.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html