From: Robert McIntire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 2:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Flash memory issues [7:17561]

I have a 2514 set up in my home lab that is having memory problems.  It
currently reports the following errors on boot up:

%Error: System flash bank 0 chip 2 unknown, chip id 0xB36  (reversed =
0xD06C)

%Error: System flash initialization failed

F3: 6218292+86976+534512 at 0x3000060

However, it boots to the image stored on the flash. ( 12.04T)

My goal is to upgrade the flash to 16MB so I can run some of the larger
Enterprise images on the router.  I know that one method is to install 2 8MB
flash simms.  But, when I try to erase the 8MB flash that is currently
installed I get an error that it is read-only.  I've also attempted to erase
flash from rommon mode, but the command is not available.  I've worked in
Rommon before on other Cisco devices, but am not familiar with the > prompt.
I've attempted to set the Boot var to ROM with no luck.  Currently I'm net
booting to a 12.2 IOS version, but I really need to configure it to boot to
flash for Enterprise IOS images.

Following is the output of the Show Version command:

2500#show version
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IO-L), Version 12.2(1b), RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Compiled Fri 15-Jun-01 06:20 by pwade
Image text-base: 0x0000144C, data-base: 0x007FD064

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
BOOTFLASH: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE
SOFTW
ARE (fc1)

c2500 uptime is 29 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "tftp://172.16.1.1/c2500-io-l.122-1b.bin";

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 16384K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 03946976, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Serial network interface(s)
8192K bytes of  System flash (Device not programmable)

Configuration register is 0x2102

At this point I'm just looking for a quick fix to get to 16MB of flash.  How
can I tell if the 8MB flash I've got is useable?  I see a PCMCIA slot on hte
system board - can this be used to upgrade the flash?  I've checked for a
write-protect jumper on the system board, but there isn't one.  Is my
current
flash going to be reusable in upgrading?  Do I need to upgrade boot roms?
These are the questions.  If anybody can shed some light on this process,
I'd
appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,  Bob McIntire, CCNA