Your problem is a older bootrom issue:

1. Call Cisco Customer Support (Not TAC) and tell them that the
bootstrap (ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a)) doesn't meet Y2K
compatability. Pay shipping costs for the new bootroms.

Or

2. Go to Ebay and buy a set of boot roms for $10 plus shipping.
I think the current revision is OM: System Bootstrap, Version
11.0(10c)XB1

I had a friend who had a spare set laying around. I have a 2503 that
had exactly the same problem and the bootstrap upgrade fixed it.