    From: Christopher Supino
    To: Teresa Presutto ; Cisco
    Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 11:49 AM
    Subject: RE: ccna companion question [7:17648]

    The first answer would be correct, because it would require IP
subnet-zero
    to be running. This command allows the router to use the zero subnet
(subnet
    with a base address of 0.0) to be used as a valid subnet. In this
example,
    you have 4 bits of subnetting, which allows for 16
    sub-networks(theoretically if the .255 and .0 subnets are valid, but then
    again, thats what we are discussing) with 4094 valid hosts per subnet.
The
    first valid subnet would be 156.100.0.0-156.100.15.255 with a base
address
    of 156.100.0.0. Some older network equipment doesn't allow for the use of
    the zero-subnet, as it is seen as a base(even though it isn't . 0s in the
    host=base address) or even stranger a brodcast(some older gear from other
    manufacturers used all 0s as a broadcast, rather than all 1s. Just
remember,
    we are talking about a zero in the network portion, not the host portion.
    Hope this explanation helps.